Sunday 10 February 2013

What a day! - 10.2.13



We had quite an experience today and one that none of us want to go through again.

We decided to head to Ndola for the weekend to check out some large wood carvings and to pick up some groceries for Phil, for when the kids and I are back in Australia. The road between Solwezi and Chingola is very bad this time of year, the rain and the hundreds of trucks that use the road, means that it is falling apart. The potholes are huge and many, some a foot deep and about 7 feet wide. So you can imagine what it is like to dodge the potholes, watch out for trucks galore and cars going all over the road, plus bikes and people walking the side. It is a dangerous road. Thankfully, we had no problems ON the road.

Driving to Ndola took about 5 hours. It is not that far, but taking into account the conditions it takes that long. We stopped at Whimpy’s  (a burger joint) for lunch and then checked out some wooden items before heading to our Guest House for the night. We then went and stocked up on the non-perishable items at Pick ‘n’ Pay before crashing for the night. Both Phil and myself slept badly as we shared beds with the kids. I did not realise how much Tom moves in his sleep. He kept going perpendicular to me and kept kicking me, so I would have to turn him back nearly every hour.

This morning Tom was awake at 530 am! So you can imagine how much we looked forward to another 5 hour drive home! We left and headed to Kitwe, there is a brand new Pick ‘n’ Pay there and so we thought we would grab the cold items at that shop. We have a fridge for the car, an essential here. When we arrived at the turn into the shops, we noticed a huge crowd of people and an overturned truck on the road. People were going crazy grabbing the cooking oil tubs that the truck had spilled. We saw one guy loading tubs into the back of his car, no doubt for sale elsewhere.

We went in and did our shopping. When we came back outside, we went to the car and noticed a smoke bomb go flying. Phil and I quickly decided to get the kids and groceries in the car ASAP and get out of there before a riot erupted. Too late…..

The smoke bomb was in fact tear gas. We had just gotten the kids in the car and Phil said “It’s tear gas” and then all of a sudden my eyes and throat started to burn. The wind was driving the gas away from the crowd and into the shop car park. Thus we all got gassed, whilst the crowd did not. I tucked my head into my top and tried to cope as best as I could, we were both spitting up vile tasting saliva, but we did not want to open the car and have the kids get it in their eyes. We noticed people running to the fire hose to wash eyes and so locking the car and forgetting the groceries, we ran to wash our faces. The gas in my throat tasted like pepper, it burnt both the eyes and throat. Phil finally was able to get back to the car and the gas had drifted away. The kids came running to me screaming and fearing they had it in their eyes after all, a cleaner and a security guard helped me wash their faces and eyes. I finally realised they were crying as they were just scared.

We ran back to the car, I got them back in whilst Phil finished loading the groceries and we headed to the entrance. Thankfully, the security guards had closed the gate to stop people coming in. They opened it for us and we flew off away from the crowd. The kids were still upset. They watched us outside the car and did not know what was going on. Tom never wants to go to there again! I don’t blame the poor thing. I am so glad we got them in the car before they got the gas in their eyes, as that just would have been horrendous as it was bad enough dealing with my own eyes and throat.

I think we were lucky to get away when we did. It only would have taken the smallest act of violence and the crowd would have gone wild. We did not want to get stuck in a riot.

The eyes and throat did not take that long to settle down thank goodness and we were able to laugh about it with the kids. After all, it is not every day that you get tear gassed! We however, never want to experience it again.

I took some photos of the truck and crowd as we arrived (prior to gas). I am not sure if the driver made it out. I would like to think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment