Sunday 3 February 2013

Week 45 - 3.2.13 (7 weeks to go)



We have finally got our new Temporary Permit, however no passports as they are still in Solwezi  awaiting to get stamped. Thus, the kids and I may be able to come home in 2 weeks. However, Phil still has not seen a contract and so we are considering our options.

It is hard to believe now that we may be leaving here soon. Am I excited? Yes and no. I would love to get away from the mine site and some of the people, but I will miss my friends. Plus, we have no idea where we will go from here, so it is quite stressful to think that in 7 weeks we may be homeless and jobless.

I would love to see my things again. I can’t believe we have lived out of our original suitcases for this long. Phil I don’t think has added to his. I have added a few clothes as wearing the same ones day in and out wears them out quickly and they get eaten by bugs and end up with little holes all over them. The kids have been the luckiest and have had so many clothes given to them. I doubt any of the clothes sitting in Perth would fit them now! They have grown so tall. As for shoes, I own 3 pairs of sandals, a pair of thongs and rubber garden shoes. Just as well I don’t have a shoe fettish! Lol…

Tom has settled in at school. His new best friend is Andrew and they are like Siamese twins always wanting to be together. It is lovely that he has such a good friend and so close by as well. Laura is doing really well also. She can write her name now and is so proud of herself. Tom is reading his books to us at night and he too is so proud of himself. He grins from ear to ear when he has finished. I am proud of both of them.
I made 2 cakes this week. One was for a Collingwood lover and the other was a quick whip up as I was given less than 24 hour’s notice.  Photos to follow.

I went to the gym on Monday and Wednesday and oh did my muscles let me know they have not worked out like that for a while or years I should say. It was really good though. If we stay I will be heading there more often. Prices have just come down and it is now affordable along with the pool.
Laura had a friend over to play on Wednesday and that was lovely. She misses her friends now that they all go to school, she since has come down with a cold and is not very happy. Tom has come down with a cold today and so he too now is not good. I have a feeling he will not be going to school tomorrow as he now has a fever also.

On Friday I went for a walk and saw the mongoose family again. This time they had a baby with them, and it was so cute, not that I got a good look as they run very fast. I had to go to the doctors to pick up a prescription, and I walked away 1 hour later. I have learnt not to do things in a hurry here.
This weekend has been quiet as Laura and Tom have not been well.They did make me a mud cake (from actual mud) and said it is just like the ones I make. Hhmmm. I will let you decide when you see the photos. I baked rolls again yesterday and biscuits today. We had a big thunder storm Friday night, but still not a lot of rain. It is lovely sitting under the larpa listening to the storms roll in.

Carol starts school tomorrow and so is doing less hours here at the house. That way she can get some study time in. I really do hope that she does well and goes to nursing school. I feel like she is a daughter to me now and I want the very best for her.

One of my friends, Vannida, has just announced that they are leaving. They have just signed a new contract, but things in his area are not good, so he is getting out now. Vannida and kids will go home to Laos and hubby will be doing FIFO (Fly In Fly Out) from Mongolia! Wow huh? It will be sad to see her go and Dori is in Tom’s class, so she will be missed.

As Dorothy once said, “People do come and go here rather quickly don’t they?” Just a part of living the expat life.

No comments:

Post a Comment