Sunday 3 February 2013

Week 44 - 27.1.13 (8 weeks to go)



Phil has still not seen a contract and we are awaiting our new Temporary Permit. The kids and I cannot go home for a holiday until we get one as we would not be allowed back into the country. It is getting very stressful as I do not know what is going to happen. Will we stay? Will we come back to Australia? Will Phil get a job somewhere else? Where will we live? What are we going to do????????

Tom started school on Monday. He was not so keen and was even less so when we got there. He was holding on to my leg for dear life. Tom’s new teacher is Miss Paula (from Australia) and seems really lovely. He has the same kids as last year and a new boy Andrew who lives 2 houses down. So he should be ok with it, but since he is now up at the big school and is not with Laura, it is an adjustment for him. I am sure he will be fine soon.

I went for my usual morning walk and then started decorating a cake for tomorrow. I made a boat cake with a man fishing and catching a shark. I finished the cake on Tuesday and did not enjoy working in the humid conditions. The man I mad on Monday fell apart and so I had to redesign the cake at the last minute, but I think it turned out anyway. Photo to follow.

Laura started playgroup on Tuesday morning, she was so excited to be going to “school”. She wanted to wear her school uniform, so I had to come up with an excuse as to why she could not. We are treating it like school for her and I figure she might as well have a play with the other kids. She of course is the oldest. We have started home schooling and so far so good. We spend some time on the computer doing ABC Reading Eggs and also do some practice numbers and letters. I managed to get the cake delivered before it poured down with rain and it was received with enthusiasm. Helen has been my best customer so far.

On Wednesday, I went back to Solwezi as I am running out of butter and icing sugar. It was a quick trip in and out. Laura and I then did some school work before picking Tom up.

Thursday we had playgroup again. That afternoon was spent making more cakes. Seems all I do at the moment is make cakes, but I do enjoy it. As long as I don’t eat them all and end up huge!!!

I tried an experimental dish for dinner on Friday night. I made up some bread and before I cooked it, I stuffed it with a chicken and veg stew I made. In the end they looked like Cornish pasties and tasted great. It is hard trying to come up with new things to eat with the same old ingredients. I figured this way the kids can eat with their hands and that would make them want to eat them. Tom did, but Laura was not convinced. Phil and I loved them.

Friday afternoon was great fun. I had some of the girls here for drinks and all the kids had a ball. I love times here like this and if we leave these are the things and times I will really miss.

The weekend was spent baking more bread rolls for Tom to take to school and sorting out the vegie garden. We have 1 water melon growing and I hope it continues and does not get eaten by bugs or such. Our carrots were an interesting mix of shapes, I think we had 1 that actually looked like a proper carrot. The cauliflower is going ok, although 1 was purple in colour so I am not too sure what that means. Tomatoes are going great. We also have a lot of potato and sweet potato in both white and orange. Can’t wait to see how they come out. Our pumpkin has come up again and we hope to have better luck with this crop. The strawberries are also looking wonderful. I can only hope that Laura decides she likes them again. Who knows in 7 weeks it could all have been transplanted to someone else’s garden as it will be no use to us if we are not here!

The weather is still stormy, although not as much rain and it is getting warmer. The roads are full of pot holes around here and driving is horrendously bumpy. Of course the kids think it is great fun. The mud is certainly a problem on my walks and I come back most days with mud splatted down the back of my legs and my shoes covered, one of the many joys of living here! Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment