Wednesday 20 March 2013

Week 47 - 17.2.13 (5 weeks to go)

Wow. I am now in Tasmania!

On Monday I went to Manyama to get a couple of souvenir's, but could not find what I was after. That evening I had an e-mail saying the kids and I were booked on a flight that was to leave the next morning! What the? Nothing like a bit of notice. I contacted them and said that was impossible, I needed at least 24 hours notice and so we were booked in to fly on the Wednesday instead.

Thus, Tuesday was a mad rush and panic. Laura and I went to Solwezi to finish getting our gifts and then it was home to pack. Just as well we have such little clothing as it did not take long. Plus I new I could shop in Australia for anything we needed.

Wednesday we left. Phil dropped us at the bus stop on site and we were off. We flew from Solwezi to Lusaka, then to Johannesburg, then to Sydney, then to Melbourne and finally arrived in Launceston on Thursday evening. We were exhausted, or more so I was as the kids had a great sleep on the plane. I made sure we flew Premium Economy for the long haul flight and it was the best thing. We got on the plane at about 6pm Wednesday night and as the kids had been travelling all day were exhausted. So I reclined their seats all the way, cleaned their teeth and tucked them in. Tom woke up an hour before we were due to land and Laura was forced to wake up on landing. She had a little help to have such a peaceful sleep, as she awoke only after 3 hours sleep and wanted to play. So the flight went really quick. We then transferred to Melbourne and then finally Launceston. Where it was basically time for bed again, due to the time distance.

I have to say the kids did great. I was really impressed. I did threaten to leave them in a couple of airports if they did not behave, but I was really thankful for their good behaviour. It made my trip a lot easier. Not too sure how we'll go on the way home as it is a day flight and about 16 hours at that!!!!! The kids love travelators and escalators, so spent a bit of time riding them, whilst waiting to board the plane

Being in Tassie is great. The kids seem to be enjoying being with Grandma and Grandad, and they are learning how to play Croquet. We also caught up with Uncle Roy and Auntie Kay today.

I went into Woolworths for the first time in 10 months and my gosh. The food!!!!! Everything was clean, not covered in the perpetual red / brown dust of Lumwana and the variety was incredible. I could have loaded up 2 trolley's with food that we have not eaten in these last months away in Zambia. The banana's are the most amazing as they are beautiful and yellow, not the over ripe brown we get on site. It sure makes you appreciate how lucky we are in Australia, so many people take things for granted. Africa has really taught me how we are able to live without a lot of things that we consider necessary in our lives. We really do clutter our lives and our houses with 'things', that we just have to have!

I am looking forward to the next week here.

Still no contract................

No comments:

Post a Comment