Monday 11 June 2012

Week 11 - 10.6.12

I have had some beautiful 'moments' this week. The first was on Tuesday night as I drove our gardener Clement, and Mukwato from next door home. On the way back from Manyama I saw a magnificent full moon rising. It was just glorious watching the moon rise a beautiful shade of orange, as it rose up above the tree line. Unfortunately, I was unable to watch it too closely as I also had to watch the road for cyclists, pedestrians and potholes! As this was my first time driving at night here, I was also trying to be extra careful. There are no street lights and no-one has reflector lights or jackets on and when the cars come at you with full beams, it can be quite dangerous. We are not meant to be off site at night driving for this exact reason.

The next was watching Tom and Laura wash each others back in the bath, before he then gave her a shoulder massage. At times they can be so loving towards each other, it just melts my heart. Why can't these moments last longer??????

The last was tonight, as I sat under the Larpa drinking my glass of Armarula. The sun was going down behind the trees, throwing out a beautiful golden light over everything. The bugs glowing as the sun hit their wings. The temperature was just perfect, even at 5pm and the music coming from up the road truly African. A real drum beat and the most beautiful sounding voices. I really love these moments. We are so lucky to be here experiencing this.

The rest of the week passed by quickly enough. I helped out at the school on Tuesday, as one of the other Mum's could not get a babysitter, as her house help had not turned up for work. Then on Wednesday, I had some of the younger kids over whilst Tom was at school. I also managed to get some more cake cooking in. I made some delicious caramel and apple muffins. These may be my favourite so far.

On Thursday a friend dropped in for coffee and on Friday we headed to Solwezi. As Phil worked last weekend, he took Friday off. We were able to get quite a bit done, before Laura came down sick yet again! So off to the clinic we went again on Saturday. This time we had her checked for Malaria, as we did not think it could be tonsilitis again so soon. So she screamed blue murder, as the technician pricked her thumb and drew some blood for testing. Thankfully, no malaria, but again her tonsils are inflamed. We are going to try to get in to see an ENT here in Zambia, but will probably have to go fairly soon to Jo'burg to get her tonsils out. There is just so much dust around and instead of causing a cold, she gets inflamed tonsils. Poor love. I on the other hand, just get the cold. Thankfully, it has not been too bad. I think it is just too dry for 'runny' noses.

I did however get to the couriers, where we collect our purchases from the UK. Thankfully, all of Laura's birthday presents have arrived (we are still waiting for one of Tom's) and so has most of my cake decorating  bits and pieces. I may not have all of them by my birthday, which is a shame as I was hoping to practice on my cake before doing Laura's. But I am truly inspired by some of the fondant figures.

Poor Phil spent 3 hours on Saturday cleaning the car. The mine site gets 'dust-a-side' sprayed on the roads. It is a tar like substance that sticks the top layers of dirt to the road without actually laying bitumen. However, when you drive over it wet, it sprays up all over the car. Thus, it takes a long time to clean it off with degreaser or diesel. Just as well I was sick. Lol.

I have also hired a new house cleaner / nanny. Carol is a local girl from Chingola (a town in the copperbelt) and is now living on site with her sister and brother-in-law. She is 22 and has just finished school and now wants to save up to study medicine. Carol will be working Monday to Friday mornings. I hope to be able to get out and do some exercise during this time, as I am really in need of it now. Especially with all this cooking......Did I tell you about the yummy muffins I made? Lol.

This morning we had some friends over for coffee. It was lovely to sit out underneath our lapra and entertain. I am looking forward to doing more of this in the future.

I apologise for no photos this week. I will make it up to you all and bore you senseless next week.

x









No comments:

Post a Comment