Monday 4 June 2012

Week 10 - 3.6.12



I have had a busy week of cooking and washing. I got back from our holiday to an e-mail that informed me it was ‘Bake sale’ Friday. This time we were raising money for the International School. Eliz, Leopard’s Lodge manager, had sent us home with some fruit, so I put it to good use in cakes. I made a lovely pear cake and a delicious orange cake with syrup. The orange cake ended up staying at home, as it sort of fell apart as I was removing it from the pan, but the pear cake looked good. Hopefully it tasted nice as well.

We have also had Mukwato and Clement here some nights for dinner, as they have been working late to finish our Larpa. So that meant cooking for them as well. Cooking for 4 adults and 2 kids keeps one busy.
The washing also kept me going all week. We have a front loader that takes 1 ½ hours to do one load and it then needs to go in the drier. We don’t have a clothes line outside due to the Putsi fly. So washing tends to take a while. As you can imagine, with all the dirt and dust, we all came home pretty filthy. As I had bought the kids some new clothes for the holiday, I was glad they came out the wash clean and not still brown as most of our clothes do.

I then had another e-mail, about a farewell on Friday at Tom’s school, so could I please bring a plate for the kids to share. More cooking! I cheated a bit this time and tried to make chocolate crackles. I say tried as they ended up chocolate chewie’s, not crackles! It was the first time I had made them and we do not get copha over here, so I used condensed milk. This is what the recipe said on the internet! Anyway, they were still eaten so all was well. This time Amelie is leaving. Her family is heading to Canada.

My hair has finally sorted itself out. On the weekend, Phil told me that he could not believe how grey I am! Thanks Darling. Anyway, when we got home on Monday, I thought I had better do something about it. One of the girls here had a spare colour, so I put it in. I am now a very dark auburn brown. The problem then was my eyebrows, so you guessed it, I did them as well. I have to admit I like it being darker. I have no idea what I’ll do in about 6 weeks time, but at least for now the greys have gone. My curls have come back too. I think my hair has finally adjusted to the water and I almost look like my old self again.

I went on one walk with Laura this week and must say I am glad she is not eating a lot at the moment, because she is so heavy to carry. I pray every night for my pram and thermomix! The other girls think I am mad carrying her, but it is the only chance I get to exercise.

We also had another blackout this week. Thankfully, it was at 8:30pm just as I was getting ready for bed. It was a total blackout this time. Normally the street lights are still left on, so you can still see a little, but this time they went as well. It was pitch black. Luckily I have my candles and matches on hand. It was off for most of the night as the TV woke Phil at about 2am.

Friday was my busiest day. I had the farewell in the morning at school. I had dinner for 6 that night and drinks in the afternoon, plus washing and housework thrown in. The kids are really becoming quite independent. As soon as we arrived at one of the girls’ house for drinks, the kids literally disappeared. They all headed off to the park. It is so nice to see them playing with so many kids and having the freedom that they do. It gives me a chance to sit and relax.

Unfortunately, Phil had to work all weekend. So I took the kids on Saturday and drove to Manyama. This was my first drive out of the mine site by ‘myself’ as such. We had a lovely time wandering the markets and came home with some lovely goodies. I bought a blanket each for the kids. They are made in Kenya and feel so wonderfully soft. Also, a couple of pots which I can use as planters for some seeds. I have a Marula tree seed and a Mukwa tree seed that I am going to try and grow. A small cooking braai and some mats for the Larpa. We also picked up some charcoal on the way home.  I also had to be breath tested on the way in to the mine site. Everyone who drives onto the mine site must have a zero level of alcohol in their system.

I again had to do battle with the ants today. I am determined to win. The pantry again was full of the little black buggers. So out came everything again, and then after a good clean up, I sprayed surface spray around the edges. Hopefully the spray won’t kill us only the ants! Then after some time I had to load it all back in again. I would say I have cleaned my pantry out at least 5 times since we have been here, which averages out to two times a month. They are driving me crazy.

Tonight we used our braai for the first time. Phil cooked some borewors. These are sausages made in a circle. The sausages are very different here. They contain all meat, not the fat and extras that they do back home. Thankfully, the braai did not fall apart and we enjoyed our dinner.

Our Larpa was finished yesterday, and so I have included some pictures which show how it was made. We love it. It really is beautiful and has received so many comments. Mukwato has had so many people ask him to build them one, he could go into business. We bought some cane furniture off Amelie’s parents and have put this under the Larpa. I am sure you will be able to pick out the chair that I have claimed as mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment