Monday 6 May 2013

Weeks 57 & 58 - 5.5.13


Week 57

The week started off as most of our weeks here, with a trip to the clinic. Tom came down sick over the weekend and so it was up to see the Doctor. As Tom had a fever, he had to have a malaria check and of course he cried. Thank goodness it was negative. As his chest sounded a bit rough, he was put on antibiotics and I had a check-up whilst there also, and was given my 2nd lot of antibiotics. It hasn’t taken long since returning, for us to become regulars at the clinic again. I told them I would see them again with my daughter later on in the week.

Thus, Tom was off school Monday and Tuesday. By Wednesday he wanted to go and by the end of the week he was so tired, the poor thing. But he really wanted to go to school, so I was not going to stop him as he usually does not want to go.

On Wednesday, I had to go to the hardware store to pay for the TV subscription. I decided to walk as I had not done a lot since returning and thought the exercise might be good. As I was still not well, it was not a good move. Laura by this point was also not feeling well and so I had to piggy back her part of the way. By the time we got to the school to pick Tom up, I was struggling to breathe and nearly fainted from lack of oxygen. Thankfully, Phil had bought an inhaler in Solwezi last weekend and so I went home and took a puff. My lungs were finally able to get some air.

So on Thursday, it was back to the clinic for Laura and I. Laura also had to have a malaria check and cried and was put on a course of antibiotics as her throat was inflamed and she was developing a cough also. The doctor let me listen to her chest and her right side sounded raspy, the same as mine. The doctor was very concerned about my chest and gave me my 3rd round of antibiotics. If this did not work, I was going to have to get an x-ray to see what was going on and goodness knows what then.

Later on in the day we found out that another of the big managers was leaving……

It was a very lazy day on Friday, as the kids and I were still not well. I had absolutely no energy. After picking Tom up from school we just lazed around the house. We ended up on the trampoline playing I spy. This was very interesting as Laura does not know what words start with and so guessing her “I Spies” was quite a task, but very funny. It was actually a lovely moment with the kids.

Today we found out another of the big bosses was to leave. That made 3 of the head managers gone in only a couple of months! There will be more people by the end of the month too, as the place is reviewing all roles and positions. I think this is why a lot of the women are unhappy as they don't know what will happen in the following months. The unknown is very hard on everyone. I should know, we just spent the last 2 months going through it!

Saturday was a busy day. I decided I needed to do something today because if I just sat around again there would be no getting me out of bed. So I headed to the kitchen to cook up a storm. I started with a loaf of bread, then moved onto jam drops and ginger biscuits and finished off with carrot muffins and choc-chip muffins. This ensured we had enough for lunches and snacks.

It was also Benjamin and William’s 3rd birthday party. Tom went with Phil, and Laura and I, after going to say hello, came straight home. Laura still had a nasty cough and was not feeling well, so we headed home to bed. The poor thing was still having fevers. At about 5pm, we went back down to pick up the boys. It was an early night for the kids and I.

On Sunday we went for a drive and a picnic to Mutanda Falls. Laura and I had not been, so we thought it might be nice to do something that would be quiet, but got us all out of the house. It was not what I expected. I was thinking it was going to be a high waterfall, but instead in was a lot of small and wide falls. We were the only ones there and it was quite nice to sit and relax watching the falls. This time of year is quite spectacular for butterflies. There must be millions flying around and you often get 20 or more in one spot trying to get water from a mud patch. They are not the most attractive, a plain white with spots of black and yellow, but the numbers make them beautiful.

That afternoon we had Luke and his parents drop in and so did Brenda and the kids. Luke’s father (English) grew up in Kitwe here in Zambia. It was lovely to talk to them and we invited them over for dinner Monday night.

Week 58

I finally felt somewhat normal on Monday. I was still coughing, but I could at least breathe. So I decided to get some fresh air and go for a gentle walk. The weather has really changed. You can tell winter is on its way. The air in the morning and at night is getting cool and the leaves on some trees have changed colour and will no doubt start to drop soon. The dam road has been graded since I last walked, which was a good 2 months ago. So the walk was quite pleasant. Thankfully I had a scarf on as the cars going past kick up quite a lot of dust and I did not need my lungs filling with that! Everything really is so dusty, there is not a scrap of moisture here at all and the leaves are all looking dry and brown. I did not make it to the dam itself, as that would have been too far but at least it was a start.

That night we had Luke’s parents over for dinner. I made potato salad, a tomato salad (as the only fresh veg in the shop was garlic, potato and onion) and I had some tomatoes at home. I also made a chocolate cake and a ganache to go on top. It must have taken over half an hour for the cream to go slightly thick. But at least it tasted ok. Phil cooked a braai and we lit the fire. It was a wonderful evening as it was a delight to talk to someone new. They are lovely people and I enjoyed myself immensely. The conversation around site at the moment is really hard going. Most of the women are unhappy and so it usually consists of everyone complaining about how bad the site is at the moment for us, how awful the shop is and who is leaving this week. So it really was a treat to not talk about any of that.

I decided to go for a walk again Tuesday morning and then it was off to playgroup. Laura I think enjoyed herself. It is hard for her as the kids are so much younger than her, she tends to play alone, but today she did interact a little bit which was good to see. It was also nice to meet some new Mum’s and good to see the old ones that I had not seen in a while. Janelle came over after Kindy and the two girls had a ball playing together. We were outside under the larpa when a squirrel came to visit, so we got some nuts out and fed him. The girls then decided they were going to be squirrels and eat the nuts too. I had to roast more after that as I think the girls ate more than the squirrel!

Wednesday was a public holiday here, Labour Day. We had a phone call from Brenda inviting us out for lunch, so we headed up to the Indian restaurant in Manyama. It was a lovely afternoon, even if we did have to wait more than an hour for food and we were the only ones in the restaurant. The food was delicious and it was great to taste some delicious flavours. The kids enjoyed spring rolls, vegetable bhaji  and butter chicken. I had a lovely lamb korma. It was quite expensive which is a shame, because if it was cheaper we would go more often, but $80 for a lunch in Manyama is a bit much for 2 adults and 2 kids! On our way out we passed a new shop which had a sign saying they were selling “Bedshit’s”, Phil and I found this quite amusing. I will try and take a photo when I go through next.

When we got home it was about 4pm and I went and borrowed Yolandi’s bike trailer which converts to a pusher. Phil and I then took the kids and did a walk down the dam road. It was a lovely time of day and very peaceful. Even the kids were quite, for most of it.

On Thursday, Brenda and I went into Solwezi. I am very wary about driving on the roads now, after Donnya had her accident and the young girl was killed in Solwezi. We left the kids home and I went in for some shopping, whilst Brenda picked up her sons passport and her driving licence. Unfortunately her licence was still not there, but at least she had Henry’s passport. It was very busy as it was the beginning of the month and there were people everywhere. I had not been to Solwezi in about 5 months for shopping so it took a few minutes to get the feel of it again and my confidence up. You really have to be on the ball driving as people walk out in front of you all the time and the markets are so close to the side of the road. I have taken a video and will see if I can try and post it on the net. When you go to Solwezi, it always takes about 2 hours longer than you think, as you never know how long the queues are going to be and how bad the traffic will be, so poor Carol was running late for her next job, but at least we all understand how it is.

I had a really good day on Friday and a busy one at that. I went for a quick walk and then rushed home for music group. Kennis is holding it at her house. She bought a CD when she was in New Zealand last and borrows the school's musical instruments (her husband is a teacher) for the session. There were only 4 mums and 5 kids, but we had fun. Laura really enjoyed herself and so we will keep going as it is something different for her to do. We then had a lovely morning tea before heading off. I met a new lady who arrived here after we had left for our holiday home and she is lovely. She is from Lusaka, Zambian born and has 2 young children. Unfortunately, too young for Tom and Laura, but I am sure we will still see her around.

That afternoon was drinks at Colleen’s house. I decided to brave it for the kid’s sake, I have been keeping a very low profile after all the issues of last year. Tom is really keeping to himself as far as the other boys go. He just does not want to join in group play with them. So he headed off with all the girls to play and had a ball. Unfortunately, I burnt his pizza again this week. I am not having much luck with his pizza lately. Ours was delicious though. Lol.

Saturday was a really quiet day. The kids played together all day and had no fights! It was amazing. It was actually really nice to have them play together so that we could do our own thing. Phil relaxed in front of the TV and I was able to read, do the washing and cook bread in peace. We did try to fly Tom’s kite again, but the wind here is not constant. The wind flares up and then drops off very quickly and so if you do not get the kite up high enough before the winds drop off again, you can’t get it into the air at all. Very disappointing, but we will keep trying. Phil cooked a braai for dinner and we lit the fire. It was really lovely. After the kids went to bed, I headed back out to the fire with my book and enjoyed listening to the church music, whilst reading and watching the fire. I love these moments here. I only wish there were more.

Today was another nice and relaxing day. Brenda’s husband Pete was playing soccer so we headed over to watch the game. Brenda was at home waiting for the snake man. They found a Puff Adder under their carport by some wood. A good thing they found it before young Henry did as they are very poisonous. Sonia came back here to play while Pete finished up and then they all came over here for drinks. One of Brenda’s friends from Kitwe is here and she is so lovely. She is a reporter for the Zambian Government and we all had a wonderful chat. Bwalya is here for the week, so I look forward to talking to her again. It is wonderful having someone new to talk to and different things to talk about.

Tom’s birthday is in 10 days and thankfully his present turned up on Saturday. I was getting worried that it might not be here on time. I cannot believe he is going to be five! He is now the tallest in his class and is a real string bean. We are having a party for him after school on the Friday and so I had better get myself organised and make the cake etc.

Have a good time until I talk to you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment