Monday 22 April 2013

1 Year - 24.3.13 END OF CONTRACT



Phil has received his contract. He was given it at 6pm Friday the 22nd, less than 24 hours before his old one expired. The GM of the mine has resigned this week. This may have been a reason for the delay. I can’t really say much more about this week, except it has been sad, disappointing and stressful. My family should not have had to go through this. 

I said goodbye to Auntie Kaye on Monday and do not know when I will see her again. We had a lovely dinner at The Bay of Bengal (Indian) and then had to say good bye. Hopefully she will come over to Zambia at some time with my Mum, so we may see them sometime this year.

I was not able to get to Forbes this week. Phil was not able to fly over in time, due to the lack of a contract and as a result I was not able to go. I would not have been able to do the 2200km return trip by myself with the kids. They would have been horrendous in the car and I did not want to risk an accident. So I caught up with a couple of my friends by phone and skype instead. Not an ideal situation as I was so looking forward to seeing them in person and to check up on my cat Seb whom is still in Forbes. I am extremely disappointed by this and angry.

On Wednesday we went to the Zoo. It was incredibly expensive for what it was. We walked to the tram station and then caught the tram into Adelaide and then walked to the zoo. We then spent the next few hours walking around the zoo, so by the end of it we were all exhausted from walking. We did have a good time and the kids even managed to get their faces painted. They could not however understand why the animals were in cages. After all, they are use to seeing them in the wild now. Jo then picked us up so we could go and see Sophie play basket ball. Unfortunately, we got their too late and the game had just finished. Very disappointing, but we will see her play one day. That night Linda whipped up some more magic with a wonderful roast chicken dinner.

The rest of the week was the same as the others. We headed to the beach, playground and even made it back to Wiggly Worms. By this time both Phil and myself were getting extremely worried over the lack of contract and were looking into all other options. It was a relief that it finally arrived on Friday. At least we had a ‘home’ to go back to. Mind you, by this stage I do not want to go back.

On the weekend Mum and Dad came over to say good bye. The kids had a ball building forts in the back yard and generally playing. They have had such a wonderful time playing with their 'big' cousins. It is a shame we hardly see each other.

Phil left Lumwana today to meet us in Melbourne. 

I will do a reflection on what it has been like this last year living in Lumwana, but at the moment I am too angry to do one. I need time to look back without the anger being so prominent in my mind. These last few months and especially weeks have taken there toll on me and my family. Lets just say, we have finished the year and our contract. Only time will tell what this year holds for us. I certainly did not expect the end of Phil's contract to be so stressful and exhausting. Mind you, I did not expect much of what has happened this last year.

Thank you all for reading my blog over this eventful year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment