Sunday 16 December 2012

Weeks 35 & 36 - 2.12.12



These have been good weeks.

Week 35

Monday was very quiet, catching up on things that have been going on whilst Laura and I were away.
Tuesday was a wonderful day full of surprises.  I was out walking when Phil called me to say he had a chameleon and was bringing it home for us to have a look at. When I got home Phil had headed back to work and the chameleon was wondering through the garden. I picked it up and Laura I took it to the school for the kids to have a look at. The kids thought it was wonderful. They really are beautiful creatures. I then released the Chameleon under our Larpa. Hopefully s/he will stay. The locals do not like them as they change colour and believe them to be poisonous because of this.

Carol, whilst doing the ironing, spotted a local selling a giant mushroom, so we went out to have a look. It was huge, bigger than a dinner plate. I took a photo and bought it for both Clement and Carol. Then half an hour later an even bigger one came past. This one was twice the size of the first. I had to buy this one as well. So Clement took the biggest one home for his 7 kids and wife, and Carol took the smaller one for herself and family.

Laura and I were then returning from the shops and I nearly ran over another chameleon, so I picked it up and again deposited it under the Larpa. They move so slowly that they often get run over on the roads, so I thought it would be safer under the Larpa. I love watching them change colour and their eyes that can roll around in all directions. Hopefully they will both stay as the garden is a very safe environment for them.

On Wednesday, we had word that Laura would be able to start Kindy here next year. This is fantastic for her as she is so ready to go. We did have a problem as the start date here is the same as Perth, 30 June and so she missed out. But due to the fact that there is nothing else around and the NSW cut off is 31 July, she has been accepted. We are thrilled as is Laura.

The LTG had its final meeting on Friday for the year. It was nice to wrap things up and know that we had accomplished quite a bit for this year. Next year should hopefully be even more productive.

That afternoon we had the biggest storm of the wet season to date. The wind was high and driving rain into the house. Our front verandah door is half mesh and so I was struggling to tape plastic over it, to stop water coming in. I also had to pop towels down on the floor as rain was also coming in through the ceiling. Then a tree collapsed in the yard and thankfully missed our car, house and the neighbour’s house. The back fence flew over and there was a river running across our back yard. It was amazing. I called Phil at the mine which is about 5 km away, and they were getting nothing. Thankfully he was able to get some fence poles on the way home and him and Luke his driller, set about righting the fence. A lot of trees came down,but thankfully all missed houses and cars.

We also had our last morning tea of the year on Saturday and managed to get a couple of new faces along. It was wonderful to see some ladies there that had not ever been before. Hopefully next year we will see more and more of a community built here and some walls that have been built in the past come down. This place is such a mix of colours and cultures and I hate the fact that some women feel as though they cannot join in due to this. I would love for this place to be a racial free environment.

Sunday was a lovely day. Michelle and Jan have just bought a boat and it finally arrived. They called us up and we all went for a trip out onto the dam. I had no idea how big it was. It was lovely to get some fresh air on the face and the kids loved the speed. Thankfully we got in just before the rain came down again.

Week 36

A busy week. But another good one.

On Monday, Laura, Colleen and myself headed out to Meheba Boarding to school to see Sandra a girl the LTG sponsors. We gave her some money to get home and told her to let us know her book list for next  year as the LTG provides that as well. I had never been out there before and it was great to see as we had to drive through the refugee camp to get there. The camp is for Angola and Congo refugees. Zambia is lucky to not have any war and unrest, unlike the other countries. I think at one stage there was 15,000 people there. It is amazing to think that there could have been that many people in such a small area outside of a local village. 

Tuesday saw me have another busy, busy day. In the morning I had a cake meeting. I had been asked to do a swimming pool cake for Kade who turned 2 on Saturday and then I helped Anke do some fondant figures for Fabian’s cake. His party is next week.

The kids and I went out to Nyamsome School on Tuesday afternoon after Kindy and it was such a wonderful experience. We arrived at the school, to the children singing and it was so loud that Tom covered his hears. We then split up as I went with other LTG members. Bex went outside with my two and played games and Colleen and I stayed inside and sang songs. The Hokey Pokey went down well. The kids can speak English, but by doing this, they use it more and become more fluent. We handed out some goods that Colleen’s friends had sent over from Australia, a soccer ball, some books and pencils. We then said good-bye and got in the car just as the down pour started. The poor kids got drenched as they rain home from their last day of school.

On Wednesday, we had Kaylen over for a play. Her mum Krissy has been sick and so she spent most of the day here with Laura.

Then on Thursday I went into Solwezi with Brenda to do some shopping for Xmas decorations. It was amazing that Shoprite had baubles, tinsels and lights. When I got home the kids had a ball decorating the twigs Laura and I collected the other day. I then had to make Kade’s cake so I could decorate it on Friday.

Thus, Friday was spent doing Kade’s cake. Unfortunately, the weather has been quite humid and so I wasn’t able to complete on fear of it falling apart. So I made the figures and did the rest on Saturday. It turned out really well. This was the first time I had done people, or half a person (see cake photo), but I was happy with the result as was Helen and family.

I measured the kids this week as Tom believed he had grown. Well, he had. He has grown 2.5 cm since his birthday in May and is now 116 cm high, Laura had not grown anything and still remains at 101 cm. They really do grow up very quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment