Wednesday 29 August 2012

Week 20 - 12.8.12



It’s been a busy week. Monday was a public holiday for Farmer’s Day, but Phil had to work in order to take some extra time when Laura and I are away. Both kids had colds and so were quite miserable. Thus, they argued quite a bit so it was a fun day all round.

I kept Tom home from school on Tuesday as I did not want to spread the germs. Mind you I wish I had have sent him. It is so hard getting things done with kids at home let alone sick ones. I had problems with my credit card, as it was blocked due to me purchasing plane tickets to Jo’burg. I finally managed to track someone down in Oz that could help me. The bank was incredibly unhelpful, their international service is rubbish, but I finally got my card back on line. Thank goodness.

I also had a mad rush trying to get warm clothes for Laura and I as it snowed in Jo’burg on Tuesday. Thankfully, I was able to get a coat for both Laura and myself to take with us.

Wednesday saw no water in the house from 7:00 – 16:00. That was a good day! I had done so much cooking for when I would be away and the dishes were piled high. It took me forever to do them that night. 

We had a smidge of rain, which is very unusual as it doesn’t normally rain until the 24th October (Independence Day), which is usually spot on every year. As a result, the locals are saying it will be a big wet season. If only it had have rained more, I could have collected some for the dishes. Lol.

Had major problems trying to pay for flights due to my credit card being blocked and South African Airways being incredibly helpful (insert sarcasm here), but finally after several hours finally got everything sorted for Sunday. I also made some Weetabix balls for the cake sale on Friday.

I had a busy day on Friday, as I went out to the Mine with Beth-Anne to sell the cakes. It was really interesting as it was the first time I had been on the actual mine site apart from Administration. It is huge and incredible. We managed to sell all the cakes and made a cool 1.2million! Unfortunately, that is Kwacha not dollars.

On Saturday the PTA held a ‘Blokes Dinner’. I was in charge of making the apple crumble for dessert. Thankfully, Phil is a pro at this and so basically took over for me. There were 40 guys attending and all had a good night feasting on home cooked food. A lot of the single and FIFO guys eat at the mess every day and so to get a proper home cooked meal is a treat. Also had to pack.

Off to Lusaka today. Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment