Sunday 8 July 2012

Week 14 - 1.7.12



I went back to the clinic on Monday with Laura. Firstly, we had to get her checked for Malaria and so another finger test was done. She was so brave, unlike the fight she put up the first time. She offered up her thumb and only cried a tad. I discussed with the doctor about getting her tonsils removed and so we are going to arrange to get her tonsils out in South Africa. We have an appointment for the end of July and ideally we would like to only do one trip and so are trying to arrange her appointment for one day and then the operation the next. Hopefully, this can be done. I will probably go down with Laura, and Carol will hopefully stay here with Tom whilst Phil is at work. We’ll see.

Tuesday was spent going on my walk in the morning and then trying to fix the cubby house. It’s been quite difficult, as I have had to strip the floor due to termites and so I am now in the process of stabilizing the floor base, so we can move it to its permanent position. Not so easy with old rusty nails and the drill does not reach with our extension cord. New nails are in order.

I drove to Solwezi today to stock up on a couple of items. I bought some new nails, some wood preserver for the larpa (before the termites take a liking to it), groceries and new t-shirts for me. I cannot find shoes here that are my size, as the shops stop at size 8. I will have to try the roadside stalls next.  I am glad I did not take the kids with me, as it is a long enough day as it is. In the afternoon, we went to the soccer pitch to watch a game. ATS (catering and maintenance) were playing Security. It was great to watch, just like watching a grand final. Every time ATS scored the crowd would run onto the field, some doing cartwheels, some dancing and singing. It was a fantastic atmosphere and Krissy and I had a ball watching. The kids just played, but at least they left us alone.

On Thursday, some trees were being cut down and so I managed to get some tree logs. Why? Well, one is for the base of a bird bath and the other a base for a squirrel / bird feeder.  They are quite solid and so should work quite well once dug into the ground. Tom and I then made the squirrel feeder on Friday. I don’t think it looks too bad. Phil is non-committal and I have yet to hear what the squirrels think.

These last few weeks, my feet have been craving carpet. Yes, I know how strange this sounds. But since we have been here, my feet have not felt anything soft or lush under them and trust me, feet crave this sensation. It is either hard concrete flooring, dirt tracks with rocks, rocks or just dirt. Shoes don’t help as the ground is so hard, and when you wear the same pair of shoes every day, well it just doesn’t mean anything. My feet would love to feel a plush carpet with full soft pile. Oh the poor things are so sad and feeling very neglected. Lol. I bought a plastic non-scratch scourer, that would normally be used for dishes and I am using this in the shower on my feet! It is the only way I can get the dirt off them at the end of each day. Now you can understand why they are so sad.

We are heading to Nsobe Game Camp for the weekend. It is an extra-long weekend here (4 days), and so will blog again after we get back. Hopefully we will see some giraffe and zebra.

No comments:

Post a Comment