Sunday 20 May 2012

Week 8 - 20.5.12



My beautiful boy is now 4 years of age. I remember so clearly going into labour and the whole 10 hours that followed before an emergency c-section gave me my son. The last 4 years have gone so quickly but slowly at the same time, if that makes sense.

I spent all day Monday making Tom’s cake. He had decided on a monster truck cake and then changed his mind to a Ben 10 one. I had the monster truck thing figured all out. The Ben 10 idea threw me a bit. But I made him a Ben 10 watch with the alien figures pasted on around the side. The cake inside was a moist chocolate cake that was absolutely delicious. I have included a photo. I then thought I’d better ask Laura what she wants for her birthday. She has decided on a fairy / barbie cake. Oh, and it has to be pink with bumble bee’s on it. I am thinking Tinkerbell..?

So I have decided to try my hand at cake decorating. I spent the week looking at the internet and then on Friday, made some marshmallow fondant. On Saturday, I made my first figure, a little teddy bear. I have also included a photo. He turned out all brown as I was only able to get chocolate marshmallows. I will hopefully be able to get white ones form the shop here in town and all the necessary tools from Amazon UK and then I can start creating fabulously decorated cakes….lol.

Tuesday was Tom’s actual birthday and we had a little party for him at his school. The kids all sang Happy Birthday and he blew his candles out. They all probably went home overdosed on sugar! That night we gave him the rest of his presents, so Dad didn’t miss out on seeing his excitement. We then sang Happy Birthday again, and his smile was just so huge. He really is turning into a lovely little boy. I am so proud of him.

Wednesday was an exhausting day. I went for a walk with a couple of the girls and Laura ‘African’ style again. Then I had another couple of girls over with their kids also in the morning and in the afternoon, I had 5 kids here! I took them to the park and they ran me ragged. I was pushing 4 on the swings at once and giving one a seesaw at the same time! How you say? You should have seen me. My thighs were so sore the next day, so it actually was a good workout on the seesaw.

Laura and I went into Solwezi on Thursday with a friend. The kids now have a few extra pieces of clothing. Tom’s clothes were getting so short in the arms and legs and Laura’s are turning brown. Plus, they needed some long clothes for our holiday next week end. I have been told the Putzi fly is quite abundant in Kafue. See Note below.

On Saturday, I went on my first jog since leaving Forbes. A friend has given me an iPod charger which I left behind, or is packed in I have no idea what box. So with my music on, off I went. It was great. I nearly collapsed at one point, but did ok. I don’t think I managed the 4km’s that I use to do around the lake, but it was a start. My thighs are still sore by the way. The hot water was also not working when I got home, so I could not have a nice relaxing shower. Instead I had to boil the kettle and have a bit of a wash.  It is so disappointing to see the nice tan on your legs wash off and realise it is only the dust. My arms however are holding a tan. I leave my watch on constantly so I can prove that I do actually tan!! The weather is just beautiful here every day. The mornings and evenings cool down a bit, but the day’s average about 25 degrees plus. It is very hard to take wearing shorts and t-shirt all the time…lol.

Today Tom’s ninja sword arrived. It was meant to be here for his birthday, but at least it has turned up at last. Our Larpa is under construction, and it is great to finally see it coming to life. Our Braai plate has arrived but I feel it will fall apart on first use. Another one of sturdier construction will hopefully turn up this week or year! I have just finished a banana cake for the builders. Clement our gardener, has been employed by our neighbours gardener, Mukwato, who has been employed by us, to build the Larpa. Does that make sense? Anyway, Clement is working hard on his day off, so I thought a nice banana cake might keep him going for a while.

Laura has a fever again, and I suspect tonsillitis. So we will be going to the clinic first thing in the morning for more antibiotics. Poor Phil has been up since 3am with Laura, so I have a feeling both will be in bed very soon. It will be a very quiet day today.


The Putzi Fly (Tumbu Fly), Cordylobia anthrophaga, is common in East and Central Africa. It lays eggs in clothes hanging out to dry and upon contact with human skin the eggs hatch. The larvae burrow into the skin and develop into fully grown maggots if left to their own devices. The unfortunate human host develops multiple boil-like sores, usually on the backs of arms, around the waist, back or bottom. The medical name for this condition is Myiasis.
Once discovered putzis are easily removed. A dab of Vaseline followed by a good squeeze will do the trick. The Vaseline stops the maggot from being able to breathe and out it pops.

No comments:

Post a Comment