Sunday 15 April 2012

Week 3 - 15.4.12



Laura’s fever meant that I was up during the night with her, poor thing. We went and borrowed some DVD’s from Vannida (who has 2 girls) and Marree, who happened to have some ‘boy’ ones for Tom. He was going out in sympathy with Laura and apparently was sick too. He kept telling me he was ‘hot’ and to ‘kiss my head’, which is how I check for a fever and of course he did not have one. So, Monday was spent watching DVD’s and dealing with 2 very miserable children.

Tuesday we had our first travel warning today. We were advised not to go to Solwezi as there was a riot on the road into town. Apparently a pedestrian was hit by a car and all hell had broken loose.  
Phil also had his second day of ‘Leadership Training’ today. He finished early and so Tom and I headed to town to buy a rake for the gardener. It was amazing as a big thunderstorm was building and here we were, walking around with huge lightning strikes and booms of thunder. It actually rained most of the day, but it isn’t cold, it’s very similar to a tropical storm.

Wednesday saw me in the garden again today. It is starting to look tidy, so many weeds! We collected our banana plants, 6 in all, and now need to put them in. Again there was another thunderstorm.  I really don’t mind if it rains for another few weeks, as I am trying to establish some plants and don’t want the dry season to start just yet. 
We went to the park in the afternoon. The ‘home school’ kids were playing tag, and let Tom and Laura both join in and it was great to see the kids interacting with some other children. It did take  a while, as Tom in particular is still very shy, but it was worth me playing tag as well, just to see them joining in. A lot of the South African kids here are home schooled. I am not too sure why, as the school here seems great. I certainly will not be home schooling my two!

On Thursday our 1000 bricks arrived. I could not stand back and let Michael (our builder) and Steven (his helper) unload them alone. I went to bed that night exhausted and awoke the next day very sore. My exercise regime is very limited at the moment, and so every little bit helps. The men informed me that I am “a hardworking woman”. I took that as a compliment. 
The place is slowly getting busier as people are coming back from their holidays. We met a couple of boys, Callum and Gryffd,  who live two houses up. Callum will be in Tom’s class at school. 
Our gardener Clement, finished our fire pit area today.  I can’t wait to have our first fire! 
We are able to order meat through the catering facility here, instead of travelling to Solwezi, and this afternoon we went to collect it. Unfortunately, the meat had not arrived and so again the kids and I were out walking when a thunderstorm hit. The thunder here is absolutely incredible. I am surprised Laura did not start to cry it was so loud. It vibrates through your entire body. We ended up having to walk to the shops in the rain, thankfully we bumped into Vannida and she gave us a lift home.

Friday saw me creating a path from our back area, to the soon to be Larpa. I managed to get half done. I then needed to make more bread. We go through so much bread over here as we eat it for lunch nearly every day. I also tried making some fruit buns from a recipe my mother-in-law gave me (thanks Virginia). They looked like rock buns, but they actually tasted really nice. I will definitely make them again.

On Saturday our sand arrived late in the afternoon. The first truck lost two tyres and so they had to switch trucks. This poor truck needed three men to jump start it! It’s a wonder we got it at all.

Today, Michael and Steven were here early to start building our BBQ or Braai as they call it here. I can’t wait for it to be finished and start using it. We have been so lucky to have had power on the whole time we have been here.  The stories I have heard about it being off for 5 hours or more, make me live in dread of those days that await me. Then it will be sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

I went for a walk this morning. We have a dam about 5km away, so I thought I would walk the road that goes to it. The road is not one I will be taking the kids down in the near future as it is full of pot holes filled with  water and mud galore. Can you imagine what my two would like after 5 minutes????? Anyway it was beautiful,  so peaceful just listening to the sounds of the birds. It is a lovely walk. The road is a red-brown dirt colour, as mentioned,  full of pot holes and mud. The land to either side is full of grasses and trees. The trees are not much wider than my shoulders, but stretch right up to the sky. Their bark is a dark brown and it is speckled with lichen and moss that dangles down from the limbs. The canopy is sparse which sends dappled light to the ground below. Every now and then there is a large termite mound, also covered with grasses and growing trees. The edges of the road, are lined with daisy like yellow flowers which reach up to my shoulders, and sprinkled about are blue and orange wild flowers also. As you walk along you disturb the hundreds of butterflies which then take flight and fly around you as you walk. It really is beautiful. I only wish I could see a giraffe reaching up high to eat from a tree or a zebra grazing in the grass. I will take my camera next time to try and capture its essence.

This afternoon we were invited to Janni’s first birthday party. We all had a lovely time. The kids missed their day sleeps and so have finally headed off to bed. I will be too once I finish this. I have told myself that every Sunday night is blog night. I aim to keep this up, so I hope you all enjoy reading about my week.

Tom is back to school tomorrow and so it will just be Laura and myself for the mornings from now on. I am looking forward to spending some one-on-one time with her. I think Tom will benefit from his time away from us.

Sometimes I still can't believe I am here, literally in the middle of Africa! I will be in bed reading and all of a sudden it will hit me, that I am no longer in Forbes. When I walk down the street now, it seems like I have been here for ages. I no longer feel so 'white'. It is starting to feel like home. I met a new couple today who have been here a week, and already I am informing them on how things work. It's nice to be able to help others as I remember only too well what it felt like to arrive here 3 weeks ago. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi at last from heather ,how great to read & follow your time in Lamwana .Hamish is home at present post surgery(plate &screws out of his collarbone) & has showed me how I can comment to you on the blog....getting techno!!! Hi to you all will chat again soon. Heather

    ReplyDelete