Tuesday 27 March 2012

Packing up 20.3.12

Packing up the house has been the most stressful time of my life so far. I thought I had everything ready. Oh how wrong I was.
Only 3 people turned up on Monday, to pack up our entire house and more. We were told 2 teams would be coming. They had planned to pack up all the Air and Sea freight that day, and have it all loaded on the truck. Plus, to have some of the house packed as well. By 6 pm they had just finished the freight loading! None of the house had been started. Whatever was not packed that day, was not going to Africa or it was coming in our bags. As a result, after the packing crew left, we found things that should have been packed. Oh well, that’s life!
I had had my computer in being fixed and finally had it back by 5pm. It was time to Skype the folks. The kids got to say ‘Good-bye’ to both lots of grandparents, as did we. What an emotional day.
We went to friends for dinner and I was an emotional wreck by this point. We were all tired and tomorrow was going to be such a big day. The beginning of our adventure!!!!!!!!
After several phone calls from the crew during the day, it was definitely decided that 2 crews were to come on the Tuesday. So we had 7 people turn up that morning. They only just managed to get it all out of the house by 3pm. Phil had left at 11am to drive the car to Sydney and I was left to finish up at the house.  By the time I collected the kids, I was exhausted. I was wondering how the kids would react when we came home to an empty house. When I opened the door and Laura looked inside, she said, “Oh oh”, as if to say “where has it all gone”. It was time for a quick shower and off to the airport.
When I saw the gates to the airport, it hit me. The eyes started to tear up. We were leaving, it was all now very real. I must have been a sorry sight checking in whilst crying. I have really enjoyed my time in Forbes and will miss the place and most of all the people.
The plane had arrived and the call to board made. It was time to leave.
The kids and I boarded the first of four planes. Our African adventure had begun…………
Many thanks go to Carmen and Stacey who looked after the kids on those packing days and again to Carmen for the trip to the airport. Will miss you heaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment